Healthy Whole Wheat Pizza
- 1 c Warm Water (110 to 115 -degrees)
- 1 pk (or 1 tablespoon) Active Dry -Yeast -or- 1 Ck Yeast
- 1 tb Honey
- 1 c Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1 tb Vegetable Oil
- 4 oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1/2 ts Black Pepper, ground
- 1/2 ts Caraway Seeds
- 1/4 ts Garlic Powder
- 1 1/4 To 1-1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 c Tomato Sauce -or- Pizza -Sauce
- 1/2 To 1 tb Dried Oregano
- 1 c Raw Broccoli Pieces
- 1 c Raw Mushroom Slices
- 8 oz Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, -shredded
Combine the water, yeast, honey and the 1 cup of whole wheat flour in a large bowl. Beat 100 times until mixture is smooth. Let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes. Add the salt, oil, Cheddar cheese, pepper, caraway seeds, garlic powder and 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 ups whole wheat flour. Mix well and let the dough rest for 5 minutes.
Pat out the dough onto a baking sheet for 1 large pizza or divide the dough in half and make two medium-size pizzas. Top with the pizza sauce, oregano, vegetables and mozzarella. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
8 Source: Holiday Cookbook, American Diabetes Association, ISBN 0-13-024894-0, by Betty Wedman, M.S.,R.D.